First Baptist Church is the oldest established church in High Point, dating back to its founding in Jamestown in 1825. The church was created by a band of 25 pioneer members who had a heart for missions ,and thus, began the long standing love for missions that is a hallmark of our church. In 1859 the City of High Point was being established along the path of the new North Carolina Railroad and the church moved to its present location the following year.
In 1979 there was a strong affirmation by the church family that God wanted us to remain a downtown church, and now our mission is to be a catalyst for transforming our city.
Many changes have been made to the facilities through the years. The current sanctuary was built in 1941 and the recreation ministries center was built in 1991.
In 2000 we voted to sever ties with the Southern Baptist Convention while maintaining our relationship with the North Carolina Baptist State Convention. We are affiliated nationally with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, a fellowship of thousands of Baptist churches who celebrate and value historic Baptist principles.
In 2001 the church embarked on its largest building project ever. It resulted in the creation of a youth center, expanded fitness center, children’s playground, and complete renovation of the sanctuary, 1929 wing, and children’s wing.
Today First Baptist Church is known for its dynamic presence within the city and for its bold commitment to the future.